Mar 8, 2008

Mayfair Lady

Audrey Hepburn has always been my fashion icon. Throughout her life she was a trendsetter and represented all that is classic and elegant. Her style is mimicked today with the ever present little black dress paired with bold accessories, black skinny pants, large black sunglasses, ballet flats, capri pants, trench coats, button down men’s shirts, turtlenecks, and long scarves. She loved clean lines and kept her clothes simple and feminine. Her signature colors of chic black and classic white never go out of style- Audrey’s favorite looks are some of my essential clothing staples that I keep around in my closet for years and years.


When I opened up this month’s Elle Décor, the first page was a three page spread of the new Ralph Lauren Mayfair collection. My first thought was that this looks like the modern day bedroom of Audrey Hepburn! She would love this look- stylish, glamorous, and feminine. This new collection is sure to draw a lot of attention. It just makes me think of old Hollywood glamour with an updated touch. Right away I knew that Ralph had to have had Audrey on his mind when he created this collection. After doing a bit more research on the luxurious black and white Mayfair décor, I found that Audrey was indeed Ralph’s inspiration for some of his upcoming collections in fashion and in the home.



Ralph showed New York his new “Audrey inspired” looks in September at his runway show at Central Park celebrating his 40th Anniversary.

This Spring/Summer ‘08 show opened up with a model wearing a black picture hat, a black and white ruffled gown and carrying a silver cane echoing Sir Cecil Beaton’s famous black and white Ascot scene from the movie, My Fair Lady. His fashion show was meant to be sort of a “fantasy” set from this movie.




Just as I adore Ralph’s fashions, his home décor is never far from my mind either! Take a look at some of his new furnishings from the Mayfair Collection- so gorgeous!

The classic Mayfair sofa...

Mayfair side table- ebonized mahogany Charles X style. Don't you just love the graceful curves in the table's legs?

Mayfair Tufted Ottoman- diamond tufting with ebonized bun feet

Mayfair Occasional Chair- Regency style, diamond tufted chair

Demere Bed- Black reeded posts with silver plated collars- Regency style bed comes in Queen, King, and California King sizes

Absolutely adore this trunk-upholstered in raffia with black straps and nickel nailheads, this trunk has total class!

Last but not least, is Ralph's Mayfair tufted chair- its upholstery resembles a striped shirt or scarf Audrey would wear!
Don't forget to visit the Ralph Lauren website to view more fabric swatches and furniture pieces from this collection...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

simply gorgeous...

Anonymous said...

I love Audrey SO MUCH!! Love the pictures inspired by her style.

Material Girls said...

I agree, Audrey is my all time favorite actress- she's so stunning, sweet and made such a big impact on fashion! How could you not love her!

M said...

Goregous! Audrey's such a classic, and I love Ralph Lauren pieces. The clothes definitely have an at-the-races My Fair Lady appeal.

cotedetexas said...

ggvhuqThis is such a great post!!!! Wonderful! - i love that vanity table - I want that!

Joni

Anonymous said...

I love this! I like how you showed what Audrey wore in the past and then current styles that were inspired by her...genius! Plus I really really want that ottoman.

Anonymous said...

Love these cool dresses... Similar kinds of dresses are available at Shop Bop....

blah said...

What a gorgeous post! I love it! Came to visit you from Bandelle's blog - so glad I did ! :-)

TIG said...

Beautiful post--love the black and white images of Audrey and the direction Ralph Lauren has taken with recent collections.