Sep 2, 2008

Speidi's Love Nest: The American Dream

I am officially submitting my entry into the 1st ever Material Girls Design Contest.  Seeing as how I am a "Materials Girl" my entry is probably not official, but if anything, it should motivate you to create a board!  

Let's first talk about the couple that I spent {way} too much of my free time on, the couple everyone loves to hate...Spencer Pratt and Heidi Montag.  Now when I think of "Speidi's" love nest the first things that come to mind are graffiti, zebra, chenille, and probably more zebra.... 
I'm afraid that if left up to this terrible two-some their future-possible-maybe- 12 million dolla Malibu beach house would look a little like Bobby Trendy-meets-Anna Nicole-meets Hot Britney (wait, aren't they all virtually the same person??) 

Realistically, Spencer and Heidi would not have the sense to think, "hmm, our Love Nest is going to be filmed for 3 million + viewers a week, maybe we should seek professional counsel before we purchase this tiger print chenille wood frame sofa w/matching chair and ottoman for our new beach house."  Heidi would probably justify the purchase with, "tiger is the new zebra, plus it's expensive but it looks cheap."   

SO in my effort to spare the world of the disaster that could be, I have created this inspiration board for the two to lull over and let me know what they think... it's still all glitz and glam but without the tran.  
So let's talk color scheme... not to offend the color purple, but I kind of think that could be Heidi's favorite color.  Spencer compromises because he too looks good in lavender.  I went with Cole & Son because they make a mean wallpaper and L.C. doesn't have it (that would of course be a criteria).  Obstacle #1: The Sofa.  Now Spencer would want letha, letha, and more letha, but Heidi wants a softer, more glamazon, feel.  Spencer gets his letha but Heidi gets a sofa with more feminine lines.  The bed would be another big battle.  Spencer wants a wooden sleigh, Heidi wants a princess canopy bed... I convince Spencer they need a version of the sleigh bed only upholstered, and Heidi is won over because the fabric sparkles.  The art is easy- the minute I saw these pieces by David Mach on Jessica Claire's blog I knew they were the ones.  The large piece reminds me of Spencer's affinity for all things graffiti, and obviously Heidi fashions herself to be the Poor Man's Monroe.  After countless hours spent in long design meetings with the duo the rest falls into place....large Art Deco mirror from 1st Dibs, awesome Swank Lighting lamps that add that touch of zebra, latte cowhide rug, sleek bar, and reflective surfaces galore. 

I think deep down in my heart of hearts they might be kind of fun clients.  Lots of blood money to spend (thank you, L.C.) and a big, 'spensive, beach house to fill - Call Me!  XOXO

8 comments:

sandra/tx said...

OMG, you're hilarious! I used to watch The Hills, but last year's season was really lame (bowing head sheepishly, because I'm sure most people think ALL the seasons are really lame), and this season is starting out blah, too.

Great job on Speidi's place. You nailed them!

Topsy Turvy said...

Great job - and what a fun project! I think you picked the best characters to design for - there's so much juicy material to work with. And that photo of the two of them - is that for real? Perfect! I must get busy!

-Lana

Lauren said...

Sandra, yes the Hills is getting more and more boring - mostly I watch it to see what they are wearing!

Lana, you should definitely do a board, we have a *very* exciting contest update that we will post about soon!

Unknown said...

Awesome job, Lauren!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

"because he too looks good in lavedar." HAHAHAHAHA!

Anonymous said...

The bed is beautiful! Can I ask where you found it?

Lauren said...

Hi Anon, the bed is from Plantation:

http://plantationla.com/products.php?cat=Bed

I think it's quite lovely myself!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Lauren! I'm not a big fan of Speidi, but the bed is really glam =)