Feb 27, 2009

Shopping in Houston...on a budget!

{photo via Cote de Texas}

Joni, of Cote de Texas, has posted many guides to fabulous shopping in Houston. Carolina, of Carolina Eclectic, put together a Houston Shopping Guide for Design Sponge. I still consider myself a fairly recent transplant to this town, so these guides have served as my shopping Bibles. Houston really does offer a little bit for everyone, but finding high style on a budget...that's the challenge. While Shabby Slips (seen above) is my absolute favorite store in Houston, it is a leeetle out of my current price range. I am always looking for great vintage and antique finds for a steal so I thought I'd share some of my local favorites, as well as ask for any suggestions on new places to explore!

I have blogged about the Guild Shop before, I scored these sconces for $90/pair. This consignment store is a hot spot on Saturdays (read: do not bring your man, unless he is totally prepared or properly sedated).


Langford Market in Rice Village mainly sells clothing, but they also have some fun vintage finds for fairly cheap. I still regret not buying this table for my patio...I wanted to put a marble top on it...the husband could not quite see my vision...



I thought these Bertoia inspired chairs were so charming.

19th street in the Heights is brimming with fun finds for the home. This dresser was under $200 at an antique mall...too bad I couldn't find a place for it!


Lower Westheimer is also a great spot for hardcore junk hunting. I love driving down the street on Saturdays. On Valentine's Day I made my husband do quite the maneuvering to pull the car over so I could look at some wire "Eames inspired" chairs (that I did get for our patio).

So local Houstonians, where is your favorite spot to score one of a kind finds for not so much $$$?

4 comments:

Courtney said...

I've never been to Langford Market, but it is now going on my list! I also have been intrigued by some Lower Westheimer places, but haven't been yet. Thanks for these recommendations! And yes, I like the Guild Shop and 19th Street for bargain-hunting too. xx

Lisa said...

Thanks for the reminder about the Heights! I wanted everything you posted. As you mentioned, I love all the droolworthy shops Joni has blogged about but I have yet to actually buy anything from those stores! Funny you mentioned your hubby, this Sat. instead of date night I am taking him shopping during the day to places we can't go with the kiddos (guild shop, MAI antiques by Katy Fwy., Dunlavy Antiques mall, and High Fashion Home). I know he is jumping up and down in excitement right now.I'm looking for a French laundry basket and side tables for living room. I have to mention I never leave IKEA without something.

Anonymous said...

I love that dresser, it's gorgeous!

cotedetexas said...

May I say I rarely buy anything from the stores I endorse- I can't afford it!!! it's just they are such great eye candy. never been to Langford, but I'm going asap.